Finding a place to live

One of the first things to consider when moving to Sweden is where you will be living. In larger cities like Gothenburg or Stockholm finding a place to live can be challenging and having a real estate agency maybe the best way to find available housing. Renting an apartment is a good way to get a feel for the area and if the commute to your job is affordable. Swedish homes and apartments maintain a very high standard.

School and daycare

Preschool is available to children from age one to the time they begin preschool class for six-year-olds or primary school. Thanks to a legal cost limit, it is affordable to all parents. While supporting parents during daytime work or studies, preschool offers a safe and instructive place for children to learn, explore and play. The entire Swedish school system, from the age of six to university, is tuition-free and designed to offer individual choices that suit children’s needs and accommodate parents’ working lives. When in doubt about how to find a school, contact your local municipality (Kommun) for answers to any questions.

Cost of living

The cost of living can vary greatly depending on where in Sweden you plan to live. In the larger cities, prices can be significantly higher than in other areas of the country.

It is also important to note that although most people will find the cost of living to be higher in Sweden than in their home countries, the average Swedish income is also relatively high.

What to bring

When entering Sweden, it is important to bring the following documents:
• A valid national passport from your country of origin.
• A valid work and residence permit (normally stamped into your passport).
• Personal identity cards.
• Your driver’s license (if you have one).
• Passports or identity documents for family members joining you in Sweden.
• Family members’ work and/or residence permits (normally stamped into their passports).
• Marriage or domestic partnership certificate for a spouse joining you in Sweden.
• Birth certificates for children joining you in Sweden.

Driver’s licenses from most non-EU/EES countries are valid in Sweden for one year. After this time, you will be required to apply for a Swedish driver’s license, this means you will have to take a written exam, driving exam and complete a ice driving course all at your own expense.

Moving household goods

Apartments in Sweden may be rented furnished or unfurnished, although most of what you might need can be purchased here. Read more about rentals at Absolute Apartment. If you choose to bring household goods with you, it is very important that you have receipts or proofs of purchase for more costly items. Upon entering Sweden or the EU, customs officials may ask you to show these receipts as proof that you own the goods you bring into the country. This can also apply to items being shipped by air, sea or land transports. Any of a number of Swedish or international transport firms can assist you with practical or legal questions. Note that you have one year from the date you are registered in Sweden to ship your household items, otherwise you may be responsible for paying a VAT tax on the value of your goods. Contact the Swedish Tullverket for current rules and regulations.

The Swedish Customs Authority, Tullverket, is responsible for controlling all goods entering Sweden from another country. Tullverket can charge you additional tariff fees for goods sent or carried to Sweden.

 Tipsa andra


0371 webb & reklam AB

Burserydsvägen 38

333 32 Smålandsstenar

Telefon: 0371-31900

Kontakta oss & karta

 Följ oss

Skriv din e-adress här så får du ett mail när vi skriver något nytt.

Gör som 30 andra.

0371 webb & reklam AB
Burserydsvägen 38
333 32 Smålandsstenar
Telefon: 0371-31900